Minnesota Catholic diocese files for bankruptcy after abuse verdict

8 Dec 2015 | Author: | No comments yet »

Diocese Of Duluth Files For Bankruptcy After Sex Abuse Award.

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A Roman Catholic diocese in northeastern Minnesota has filed for bankruptcy protection after a jury found it partially responsible in a clergy sex abuse case.

— Facing a nearly $5 million jury verdict and numerous pending lawsuits over child sexual abuse committed by priests, the Diocese of Duluth turned to bankruptcy protection Monday. Paul jury last month found the diocese negligent in the supervision of a priest who was accused of sexually abusing a teenage boy in Itasca County in the 1970s. James Bissonette, says the bankruptcy filing safeguards the diocese’s limited assets while allowing the church’s day-to-day operations to continue. The claims all were brought under the Minnesota Child Victims Act, an act of the state Legislature which opened a three-year window for abuse victims to file lawsuits that would otherwise be barred by statutes of limitation. The window is set to expire in May, and attorneys have said they expect a flurry of activity as the deadline nears. “There is sadness in having to proceed in this fashion,” Bissonette said in the statement. “After the recent trial, the Diocese again attempted to reach a mutually-agreeable resolution.

Here you can write a commentary on the recording "Minnesota Catholic diocese files for bankruptcy after abuse verdict".

* Required fields
All the reviews are moderated.
Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

About this site